2017 – 2018 Board Members
Justin Porter – President
Justin Porter is the Director of Technology for Westside Produce. Westside Produce being a very small enterprise, Justin runs the entire program; everything from infrastructure design to annual budgeting to implementation for all IT and communications functions fall under his responsibility. Justin has also been very active in the IBM i community. He has served as a member of the COMMON America’s Advisory Council (CAAC), a member of the Community and Networking (CaN) group, a member of the Certification Steering Committee and a regular guest on to the Board of Directors. Justin has a strong foundation in both technology and business, both professionally and academically.
Re-elected Spring 2015; term expires Spring 2018.
Larry Bolhuis – Vice President
Larry Bolhuis has a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from Calvin College in 1982. He started working on IBM midrange equipment with the S/34 and S/36 in 1984 and the As/400 at its introduction In 1988. Larry Spent many years as a developer before transitioning into the system design and administration role. Larry attended his first COMMON Conference in 1988 and has been a volunteer since that very first conference. He has volunteered as session manager, registration volunteer, SME, CET and Speaker. Larry also provides the lab servers for the annual conference.
Elected spring 2014; eligible for re-election Spring 2017.
Amy Hoerle – Treasurer
Amy Hoerle is a System Administrator at Think Mutual Bank where she spends her days playing with all things IBM i, e-mail and mobile. Amy spent 13 years in the Lotus Support Center focusing on the Domino server running on IBM i. Amy has been attending and speaking at the COMMON Annual Meeting for over ten years. She enjoys being able to exchange knowledge with other system administrators. It is normal to see Amy carrying at least one mobile device at any time as she must be “connected” and loves to work with and learn new technologies.
Elected Spring 2015; eligible for re-election Spring 2018.
Yvonne Enselman – Secretary
Von has over 20 years of experience on the IBM i (and predecessors) specializing in quality assurance and is currently a Lab Services Engineer III with Rocket Software. She holds ASTQB certifications as Certified Tester Foundation Level (CTFL) and Certified Tester Advanced Level Test Analyst (CTAL-TA). For most of her career, she has volunteered with the OMNI User Group in Chicago and has held positions including President, Treasurer, Conference Director and Secretary. She has presented for many organizations, including local user groups, COMMON and international conferences. Von enjoys writing and has been published in IBM Systems Magazine, IT Jungle, MC Press Online and in blogs such as iThusiasm. Volunteering for COMMON is one of her favorite ways to advocate on behalf of the Power System community and share her passion for the platform and community.
Re-elected Spring 2016; term expires Spring 2019.
Jeff Carey – Immediate Past President
Jeff Carey is an IBM i professional with 25 years of experience on the platform, specializing in system administration. He currently contracts for an international financial services company headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. He is on the Board of Omni User, the Chicagoland IBM i user group; President of COMMON; and has participated in Toastmasters and local theater. He holds an MS in Information Technology from Northwestern, an MBA from University of Illinois at Chicago and an AB from the University of Chicago. @i_jeffcarey
Re-elected Spring 2014; term expires Spring 2018.
Randy Dufault – Director
Randy Dufault is the Director of Solution Development for Genus Technologies in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In that role he is responsible for the architecture and design of software solutions for clients across the country and around the world. Those solutions center on IBM Software technologies and often concentrate on unstructured data management. He is a long-time COMMON member and volunteer, with experience across the organization. Randy also serves as Chairman of COMMON’s Certification Steering Committee.
Re-elected Spring 2015; term expires Spring 2018.
Charles Guarino – Director
Charles Guarino’s entire career has been dedicated to the IBM midrange platform. He began volunteering for COMMON as a speaker in 2005. Through the years other volunteering roles have included subject matter expert and most recently as a member of the Strategic Education Team.
Charles is a strong advocate of education and improving and expanding the skills of the IBM i community. As such, he speaks at many conferences and user groups regularly. As a COMMON board member he will strive to continue this commitment and pursuit of information and knowledge transfer on a much broader scale.
Charles holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business and Information Systems Management from the State University of New York.
Elected spring 2017; term expires Spring 2020.
Gordon Leary – Director
Gordon is the IT Manager of AMPORTS, Inc. and has been involved with the IBM midrange community since 1987. AMPORTS is an automotive port processor with locations in the US and Mexico. Gordon has attended COMMON conferences since 1988, and in the last several years, he has participated on several committees including Communications and Networking, Volunteer Recruitment and the GoTo Market task force. Gordon earned his degree in Computer Science from Towson State University.
Elected Spring 2016; eligible for re-election Spring 2019.
Steve Pitcher – Director
Steve Pitcher is the Enterprise Systems Manager at Scotsburn Ice Cream and an Industry Analyst at MC Press Online. He’s been a specialist in IBM i solutions since 2000 with an emphasis on modernization, security and collaboration products. Steve has been an IBM Champion for IBM Collaboration Solutions for the last five years.
Elected Spring 2016; eligible for re-election Spring 2019.
John Valance – Director
John Valance is the President and CTO of Division 1 Systems, a software development and consulting firm based in Burlington, Vermont, specializing in web application development and application modernization on the IBMi. He has a BA from Queens College, CUNY, where he studied computer science. He has been working on IBM midrange systems since 1983. John has extensive experience in software development and project management. His deep knowledge of both legacy and new technologies, coupled with a love of teaching and working with people, puts him a great position to help his fellow IBMi professionals advance their skills and careers.
Elected Spring 2017; eligible for re-election Spring 2020.
Manzoor Siddiqui – Executive Director
Manzoor Siddiqui has been with COMMON since 2006, having served in the role of Marketing Communications Manager, where he led all marketing and sales initiatives for the organization. He has over 20 years of multi-disciplinary business, marketing, and IT experience across a broad range of industries, including Associations, Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology, and Insurance organizations. He has served as a subject matter expert on several panels through Association Forum and LFGSM. Manzoor holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management from National-Louis University, and an MBA from Lake Forest Graduate School of Management, where his focus was on Marketing and International Business Management.
Alison Butterill – IBM Liaison
Alison Butterill is the World-Wide Product Manager for IBM i. In this role, she works with the entire IBM i team to define the future of IBM i including the content for releases and technology refreshes. Her responsibilities include working with the IBM i sales, marketing, development and clients and partners to ensure that the IBM i Operating System and associated software products reflect their requirements. Alison is therefore the ideal person to tell us about the very latest trends and directions on the i platform.
The 2017-2018 Board of Directors was introduced at the Meeting of the Members on May 10, 2017. Read more.
If you have any questions about the election process, please contact Manzoor Siddiqui at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board of Directors Information
The structure and purpose of the Board of Directors is governed by the Bylaws of COMMON. The Board of Directors delegates the authority and responsibility for day-to-day activities to COMMON’s Executive Director. The primary duty of the Board is to concentrate their activities on issues of strategic importance to the future well being of COMMON.
- Reports to COMMON Membership
- Sets policy and strategic direction for COMMON
- Has fiduciary responsibility for all COMMON Activities
- Provides direction to the Executive Director
- Approves the annual budget
- Maintains communication channels with IBM and all levels of the COMMON organization
- Participation in strategic planning sessions held by Users Groups, IBM and/or other organizations that require non-disclosure
- Acts in accordance with COMMON’s Bylaws and Code of Ethics
- Represents COMMON to other users groups
- Votes on issues presented to the Board
- Team player
- Experience with budgets and business planning
- Financial management and process management
- Change and quality management
- Participation in two (2) conferences over the last two (2) years
- At least five (5) years of experience in a system (software, hardware or applications) and/or management environment
- Must be able to commit time required to the term of office set by the election procedures
- Must be able to attend the Annual Meeting, plus two (2) days before and one (1) day after each Annual Meeting to attend Board meetings
- Must be able to attend to participate on monthly conference calls
- Must be able to attend one (1) Strategic Planning/Board Meeting per year, totaling three (3) days
- Must be able to attend special meetings called by the President
- Must be available to participate in conference calls as designated by the President
- A Director has the opportunity to meet with key personnel in IBM, Users Groups and other organizations
- A Director has the opportunity to interface with key personnel throughout the COMMON organization and to discuss current technology
- A Director develops policy and procedures that contribute to making COMMON a dynamic and highly effective organization, through interaction with COMMON’s membership
- A Director can experience personal growth through the interchange of ideas with IBM and peer groups, and can expand their knowledge of planning and managing a large organization
- A Director has the opportunity to make a significant contribution to COMMON’s future
Reasons for Dismissal
- Inability to attend the COMMON Annual Meeting
- Unable to attend Board meetings and conference calls on a regular basis
- Failure to attend a Strategic Planning meeting on a yearly basis
- Unable or unwilling to act in a capacity designated by the Board of Directors
- Failure to fulfill the responsibilities of the office
- Failure to act in a way consistent with COMMON’s Code of Ethics and Bylaws